Industries is an electronic music project by Markus Hetheier. His music explores and subverts musical structures and ranges from field recordings, distorted sounds to harmonic melodies and large beats.
He is an electronic music producer, DJ, sound artist, workshop facilitator and practice-based PhD researcher at the School of Digital Arts (SODA).
- Air, May 2020.
- Reform, June 2020.
- A Walk, January 2021.
- Angst 4 – In Gefahr (Remix), 2021.
- Flowers of Evil – Mop the Floor (Remix), 2022.
- Nacht der schönen Künste (Manufaktur der schönen Dinge, Saarbrücken, Germany): Offenes Feld, eine Reise, July 2015.
- Nacht der schönen Künste (Garelly-Haus, Saarbrücken, Germany): Gegenstille: Klang. Kunst. (Elektronische Heimfolkmusik), July 2017.
- Sounds From The Other City festival, May 2018.
- Your Stage (Contact, Moss Side Millennium Powerhouse, Manchester), June 2019.
- Festival of Music and Culture (The Ferret, Preston), July 2019.
- Refract:19 (Waterside Arts, Sale), July 2019.
- Chorlton Arts Festival (Unitarian Church, Chorlton), September 2019.
- Solo Gig (Automat, Saarbrücken, Germany), February 2020.
- Solo Gig (Haverne Hookah Lounge, Saarbrücken, Germany), February 2020.
- DJ Set (Stadtschenke a Choperia, Saarbrücken, Germany), February 2020.
- Live streams: concert & DJ set from home; digital concert presented by The Vale and DJ set for first ever Silver Pride UK.
- 2021–ongoing: FLUFF: regular social night of queer electronica produced and promoted by me in collaboration with Norrisette (Fuel Café Bar, Manchester).
- Solo gig (Eastern Bloc, Manchester), March 2021.
- Support gig (The White Hotel, Salford), April 2021.
- DJ set (School of Digital Arts, Manchester), June 2021.
- Joint headline gig with Raaz (Terminus, Saarbrücken), August 2022.
- DJ set supporting Norrisette (Aatma, Manchester), October 2022.
- DJ set at Over_Rhythm (XLR, Manchester), October 2022.
- Live set at BLEEP electronic open mic night by Manchester Electronic Music Collective (The Peer Hat, Manchester), November 2022.
- Live set at School of Digital Arts (SODA), Manchester, December 2022.
- DJ set at Sounds from the Other City festival takeover at Feel Good Club, Manchester, 2023.
- Promoted and deejayed at FLUFF x Tales from Other Worlds stage at Sounds from the Other City festival, Salford, 2023.
Commissions and interdisciplinary collaborations
- Julia Stina Schmidt: I joined her collective SYND:IKAT creating blut/gebrandmarkt, a dance-sound performance.
- Volker Schütz: Hören und Sehen – Audiovisuelle Performance mit einem Oszilloskop, February 2019).
- Interactive soundscape performance at RELAX (Waterside Arts, Sale), October 2019.
- Bella Probyn: Open Field, collage of poetry and image, January 2020.
- Bella Probyn: Birdsong. Ready for bed. Sun setting., audio-visual installation/commission for whatstick theatre using video submissions of people filming the landscape outside their window and talking during lockdown, May 2020.
- Volker Schütz and Johannes Maria-Schlorke: Monument artwork for Geisterspiel exhibition at Saarländisches Künstlerhaus, September 2020.
- Soundscape composition for Brighter Sound’s Soundpaths project that is part of Sick Festival’s MINDSCAPES programme, March 2021.
- As if radio… livestream of unedited A Walk jam and soundscape by Nevsky Perspective and me as part of a longer ecological radio broadcast in conjunction with COP26 in Glasgow, November 2021.
- Delivered ‘Soundtrail’ mapping activity during Day Out at Drinkies programmed by The Loiterers Resistance Movement and produced by Walk the Plank.
- ‘A Walk 1’ was exhibited at the Sound Experiences: Memory, Creativity and Participation Audire Conference in Braga, Portugal, where I was also part of the sound artists panel.
- Created live soundscape performance in response to Delia Derbyshire Archive at Telling Stories conference at the School of Digital Arts.
- ‘A Walk 1’ was exhibited as part of the Manchester School of Arts (MSARC) practice-led showcase Process and Practice.
Symposiums and talks
- Symposium Klang und Identität (Sound and Identity), November 2014,
- Talk Queering Hip Hop. The Subversions of Race and Gender in Mykki Blanco’s Wavvy at Intersections conference at the Women & Gender library in Saarbrücken, Germany, 2017
- Organised and facilitated symposium Sound Studies, 2017.
- Talk Between Anarchy and Particiption. DIY Culture in the Electronic Music Industry in Manchester. at The Present and Future of Electronic Music Conference at UCLan (Preston), 2018.
- Talk Voicing Manchester’s streets through soundmaps and psychogeography at MASSmcr (Manchester Music and Sonic Studies) as part of their Digital Worlds: Music, Sound and Sonic Spaces webinar series at MMU (Manchester Metropolitan University), 2021.
- Presented ‘Between anarchy and participation. DIY culture in Manchester’s electronic music scene.’ at Sonic Rebellions conference in Brighton, 2022.
- Presented ‘Putting research into practice: using practice-based research to develop a creative toolkit for participatory music workshops’ at Postgraduate Research (PGR) Conference, 2022.
- Presented ‘Listening to the city: A workshop plan for post-disciplinary participatory practice-based research’ at PAHC Symposium, 2022.
- Presented ‘Queer resistance: DIY culture in Manchester’s electronic music scene’ at Music, Research, and Activism Conference at the University of Helsinki, Finland, 2023.
- Presented my practice-based PhD project as the Contact Lunchtime Lecture series, Manchester, 2023.
Photograph by Rob Conroy.